Thursday, April 14, 2011

Sakura








This past week has been the beginning of our unofficial spring, although the warmer weather has brought rain, last Sunday was an unbelievable 23 degrees.  It's exactly what the plants have been waiting for..overnight bright green buds seemed to have pushed their way up through the soil and there's a definite change in air.  I sat and watched a couple of Robins fight over a worm this morning as I had my morning tea, the warm weather's brought on the renovations in the neighborhood and by 8am, the air was busy with the sound of power tools and hammering, the radio playing faintly in the background reporting news about the rush hour traffic.

I've grown accustomed to city living and I have to admit, even enjoy the sounds of the bustling city once in awhile.  Having said that however, I'm in the midst of putting the finishing touches on a backyard project that started last summer, my goal is to have my backyard 'getaway' ready to enjoy by the time the warmer weather arrives.  I'm a pretty lucky girl - I have some very handy people in my life and with their help I'm going to have a beautiful, sanctuary of a garden when it's all done.  The next step (and definitely the most exciting step) is handpicking the plants, shrubs and trees that will shelter my home and loved ones from the craziness that has become a part of our everyday lives living in the city..streetcars and angry traffic, the unfriendliness of big-city living and a seemingly endless list of to-do's.  I'm looking forward to sinking into a comfortable patio chair with a tall glass of something cold with lot's of ice cubes, grabbing my copy of the latest issue of World of Interiors magazine and wriggling my bare toes in the warm sunshine.


A friend on mine recently posted pictures of springtime in Tokyo..cherry blossoms are nearing the height of their spectacular displays and the country, for a brief time, seems to be taking the time to enjoy and appreciate the beautiful things nature has to offer..not her recent fury.



Sakura Ring - Sterling, Ocean Jasper

 I decided to use this particular specimen of ocean jasper because it reminded me of Hanami - meaning 'flower viewing' during this time of year.  Poems have been about the delicate cherry blossoms or sakura, which were seen as a metaphor for life itself, luminous and beautiful yet fleeting as the blossoms only last about a week.  


Set simply in sterling to showcase the pink blooms amidst its deep green backdrop, the Sakura Ring is now available in my shop.


xo Blue Gnome

No comments:

Post a Comment