Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hump Day Blues

Wake me up when the skies are clearing
When the water is still
'Cause I will not watch the ships sail away
So please, say you will

If it were any other day
This wouldn't get the best of me

But today I'm not so strong
So lay me down with a sad song
And when it stops then you'll know
I've been gone too long

But don't shake me awake
Don't bend me or I will break
Find me somewhere between my dreams
With the sun on my face


By Norah Jones, Wake Me Up


Anyone else feeling a bit bummed out lately?  I was chatting with a good friend of mine the other day and he was saying how he was feeling blue and unmotivated these days for no damn reason at all.  I have to say, I'm in the same boat.  I bought some Tulips yesterday to try and bring home some sunshine..aren't they gorgeous?




There was that surge of giddy excitement that the warm weather brought a couple of weeks ago but I have to say that the brief sprinkling of snow yesterday afternoon seems to have brought on the closest to seasonal depression I've experienced.  This weather today reminds me of winter time in the Okanagan..mild but grey.  I'd almost have freezing conditions over this if it meant we'd get to see some sunshine.

My mother has been escaping to Thailand every winter for the past few years.  She's a lady on the go..travels like a pro and has utterly fallen in love with Thailand's culture, it's people and the land itself.  She's a master of many trades..she finds an interest, researches it like mad then travels to the root of it's foundations.  In this case, Thai style massage..she goes to Chiang Mai and Bangkok every year to refresh her skills, rekindle her friendships with the locals and rejuvenate her soul.  I truly believe that if there's such a thing as a past life, hers must take her there..it must be quite the feeling to travel somewhere for the first time and as the plane touches down, to feel in your  heart of hearts and within your very being that you've returned home.  Her family is here in Canada and there isn't a day that she doesn't miss being here when she's there, but when I travelled to Thailand with her a couple of years ago, I was surprised to see her at such ease there.  She was radiant, relaxed and happy.  She walked through the insanely chaotic outdoor markets there like a seasoned pro, merging with the local traffic, taking part in the friendly bartering of everyday shopping that is such a big part of their culture.
My father is invited every time she goes but after one trip there, I think he's had enough of the hustle and bustle, the humidity and traffic, and the absolute lack of 'personal space'.  His home is where the Rockies are, open and free, breathtaking and majestic.  Where the air is cool, fresh and crisp.  There's no bartering in the comforts of his home but equality, structure and logic.  Because those are the things you have to leave at home, personal space and any expectations of privacy.  Traffic lights are merely a suggestion, crossing a street on a green light is still taking a risk.  It's a small country with a big population, it's every man and woman for themselves over there.

Work has started to pick up and finding the time to work on my silversmithing has been a little more challenging.  But I plan on finishing a few pieces that are currently in the works sometime this week.  I'm also expecting a lovely parcel of supplies in the next few days, which is always so exciting and helps to kick start that motivation I seem to have been lacking as of late.  It's time to give myself a kick in the ass..oops, am I allowed to write ass on a blog?  I did it again didn't I?  Heheh...dig myself out of this rut and get this party started.  Can I hear a woot, woot?


xo Blue Gnome

No comments:

Post a Comment