Friday, November 18, 2011

Strange Line of Work

I guess I work in a less-than-ordinary line of work.  
When I find myself sitting with people I don't know (like at a friend's wedding) and am forced to make pleasant conversation through the reception dinner, the first question that usually comes up is, "how do you know the bride and groom?"..then that's generally followed by, "what do you do for a living?".  
A seemingly easy question to answer if you work within a defined industry like being a sales manager at so-and-so, or in the financial or medical field.  That seemingly easy question usually makes me a little squirmy because I don't actually know what my job title is..to say, I have a title on my business card but it says very little about what my job description actually includes.

I work with dinosaurs.  In so many different applications.  One of the most interesting things about what I do for a living is that it's always changing..no two projects are ever the same.  I've endured torrential rain storms with soaking wet, feathered puppets to shoot segments for the Discovery Channel, sent crew members to a drug store to buy copious amounts of KY Jelly for on-camera effect, witnessed the good, the bad and the ugly side of each and every person I've worked with after 17 consecutive hours of working side by side, hour after our.  From disasterous mishaps at the 11th hour right before a deadline to triumphant results delivered right on schedule, this life I lead is an interesting one..far from glamourous..but interesting.

This texture ring is a result of one of those odd projects - sterling silver cast from a mold taken from an Emu leg..don't ask me how I had access to an Emu leg, please.  It wasn't one of my favorite experiences!  The results are somewhat experimental but I think I like it..it's organic and hefty, a beautiful BIG ring for those of you (like me) who love to wear pieces that make a statement.  Adjustable and unisex, this ring along with a couple of other items, now available  now in my shop.

xo Blue Gnome


 Sterling Ring


Prehnite, Smoky Quartz and Sterling Stacking Rings 


Sterling and Natural Amber Earrings

No comments:

Post a Comment